Commonly Asked Questions - Payroll

Q : The employee is claiming exempt status on their W4.  How do I enter that into TempWorks Enterprise?

A: First determine if this is exempt from taxability or exempt from withholdings, as these are entered differently.  

1. If exempt from withholdings:  on the pay setup form enter “99” in the federal exemptions and state exemptions (if applicable) fields.

2. If exempt from taxability:  in the taxes area, under pay setup, select the Jurisdiction and check the box stating exempt.

Q: Do I need to fill out the dependents field on pay setup?

A: Employee’s living in Louisiana are only allowed to have 2 state exemptions.  Any additional state exemptions need to be entered under dependents.  If the employee is not a Louisiana resident this field does not need to be populated.

Q: How do I print a wage statement to give to the employee?

A: In the actions bar of the employee record, click on the reports button, then click to select employee wage statement.  Enter the start date and end date in the report viewer then click view report to run it.  Once the report is displayed click on the print icon to print.

Q: Do we need to create a separate worksite record for each location that employees are sent to?

A: Yes.  The worksite is very important because an employee’s income taxes are based on both their home (permanent and resident) address in conjunction with where they work (worksite).  The worksite must also be selected correctly on the order to make sure that payroll and invoicing are processed correctly.

Q: If I update the pay rate and/or bill rate on the order will it automatically update the current open assignments for this order?

A: Yes.  If you use the action menu, mass update rates.  The rates can be increased or decreased by percentage, amount or changed to specific rates.  The multiplier code can also be changed this way.

*Note* this MUST be done via the mass update rates, if you simply change the rates on the order details form the rates will NOT update the assignments.

Q: I’m not able to select the multiplier that applies to this order.  How do I pull it in?

A: The multiplier code must be added to the database by a system administrator.  It can then be added to the multiplier codes section on the customer defaults form.  If this order is for a department make sure that the multiplier code is attached to the department record or if it’s on a higher-level record in the customer hierarchy, make sure that the apply multiplier codes to departments check box is checked.  Once these changes have been saved, you will be able to select the appropriate multiplier on the order details form.

Q: If I update the pay rate and/or bill rate on the assignment will it automatically update the payroll transaction for this assignment?

A: Not necessarily.  If you update the rates immediately, before payroll/billing has created a transaction, then yes, it will be updated.  However, if payroll/billing has already created the transactions THEN you make the change then, no, the transaction will not automatically be updated.

Q: I have in incremental rate change I'd like to give my employee.  Can that be set up in advance?

A: Yes, and you should.  On the assignment, open the action menu and select extend assignment.  TempWorks will prompt you for the date the rate change should take effect.  TempWorks will then create a new assignment on which you can enter the new rates.  

*Note* During this process TempWorks will automatically end the original assignment as of the date before the rate change takes effect with a status of RC (rate change).

Q: How can I use TempWorks to communicate important information to the payroll department?  For instance, my employee called in sick and I want them to know to not pay them for that day.  Or, the next time the employee works to deduct money from their check for equipment or a screening.

A: From any of the main areas you can send a "note to payroll". 

  1. If this note pertains to the employee, no matter where they work, the note should be entered on the employee/pay setup/note to payroll field
  2. If this note pertains to everyone who has been placed on an order the note should be entered on the order/details/po setup/payroll note field
  3. If this note pertains to a specific assignment the note should be entered on the assignment/details payroll notes field.

Q: In time entry, how can I single out just one customer or employee's transactions?

A: At the top of the time entry form there are filter options.  Filter for the employee name, SSN or customer name, in the filter text field enter the first few characters of the employee's last name, SSN or customer's name.  

Q: Where should a mileage or parking reimbursement be entered?

A: Open the detailed timecard within the time entry form.  Select the adjustments tab.

Q: Does an adjustment paid have to equal an adjustment billed?

A: No.  When entering an adjustment the pay amount can be zero'd out or changed to an amount different than what is being billed.

Q: Where should a bonus or commission be entered?

A: A bonus, commission or other taxable adjustment should be entered as a duplicate (new) transaction in the time entry form.  For bonuses and commissions, units, unit pay and unit bill should be used instead of hours and hourly amounts.  Make sure to change the pay code to reflect the type of money being paid.

Q: How do I determine if a check should be reissued, voided or reversed?

A: 2 questions:  Has the check been cashed?  Was the check correct? 

1. If the check has not been cashed and it was correct you will reissue the check.

  • The check was put through the washing machine
  • You printed the check then immediately spilled coffee on it
2. If the check has not been cashed and it was not correct you will void the check.
  • The employee was overpaid
  • You issued the check to the wrong person
  • You had the incorrect deductions or adjustments
3. If the check has been cashed and it was incorrect you will reverse the check.
  • The hours or pay rate were incorrect on the check (the employee was overpaid) and the employee took the money and ran.

Q: Where do I go to reissue, void or reverse a check?

A - There are two places where you can access checks to make adjustments:

1. Go to employee/pay history/check register.  Once there, double click to open the check that needs to be adjusted.  Adjustments can be made through the actions menu. 

2. Access the check from the pay/bill area/check register.  Use the searching criteria to the right of this form to find the check that needs adjustment.  Double click to open the check that needs to be adjusted.  Adjustments can be made through the actions menu. 

Q: What is the difference between reissuing and reprinting a check?

A: Reissuing a check will reissue the net amount on a new check number.  This should be used for pre-printed and numbered check stock.Reprinting a check will reprint the original check on a new piece of paper.  This should be used for accounts where the checks are printed on plain paper.

Related Articles